Saturday, December 19, 2009

An Enchanted Evening, Tequila Shooters, And More!!!

It's been fun so far this holiday season, what with the workplace party at the Empire Landmark, the staff lunch at Pasta Polo, the potluck party in class, and to top it all, an amiable, raucous and fun-filled party at Ewa's place last evening! Ewa and her handsome husband (sounds alliterative!) Jarek threw open their doors to ten of us and played the perfect, impeccable hosts (double emphasis here!) to us starry-eyed guests. It was a much anticipated evening of camaraderie and socializing, one that lived up to all our expectations! Yesterday being our last day of work before we closed for Christmas, it was only fitting that we ended it on a "high" note, both literally and metaphorically!

I had to enlist my husband's help (as I always do) in ferrying me to and from Ewa's place in Surrey. The time on the invitation said "6.30 P.M." and I thought I was being fashionably late by arriving at 6.40, only to realize that I was actually the first guest there. After I had been introduced to Jarek, and after popping my tandoori chicken and onion bhajias in the oven to keep them warm, I sat down on the couch to have a chat with Ewa. I must digress and talk about Ewa's beautiful house here. It was a magnificent home, so elegantly decorated and spotlessly maintained, a reflection of Ewa herself, I must say. The first thing that caught my eye was the real wood-burning fireplace, something of a rarity these days in our parts. Such fireplaces have been banned in newly built houses, which feature only gas or electric fireplaces nowadays. In fact, this was the first wood-burning fireplace I've seen in my 6 years here in British Columbia! Just as I was exclaiming about it, and as Ewa was pouring me a glass of red wine, the next set of guests arrived - Alan, Roz's husband, followed by Roz herself and my good friend Gayane.

The tour of the rest of the house had to wait because we were waiting for the others to show up. Slowly the momentum built up, replete with shared stories and jokes and raucous laughter. It was interesting to listen to our hosts' stories of their escapades in the Dominican Republic, their accounts of the ribald behavior of men in Greece, the need to bargain for goods around the world, and so on. All the others pitched in as well, regaling us with their own reminiscences of their travels, from Roz's experiences around the world, to Gayane's jinxed elevator rides, and Sandy's most recent celebrity spotting of the oh so hot Vin Diesel in LA! The wine, beer, vodka, and not to forget the tequila shooters in the kitchen for the bold and the brave (accompanied by the requisite Spanish chants, of course!), accounted for the rising decibel levels, needless to say. God bless Ewa's neighbors! The colorful spread of food was as varied and interesting as the guests ourselves, and when Jarek turned on the music system, it was time to trip the light fantastic toe! It was interesting to watch Esther swing her hips a la (insert appropriate accent here) Shakira, and Gayane as usual let her hair down with her smooth grooves on the hardwood floor. She truly had a match in Ewa, while the rest of us laughed and clapped and just soaked in the fun and excitement of it all! See the merry group below, kind courtesy of Ewa! I chose this one where we're consciously posing and all our faces can be seen! :) Note Ewa's delectable spread of short eats on the coffee table!


I have to go back to writing about Ewa's house. Inhabited by beautiful people as Ewa and Jarek and their sons Dorian and Oscar, it was a home where the walls echoed with cheer and laughter, and each room painted with the colors of love. Every nook and cranny of the house was opened up to us and we had a greater appreciation of Jarek's renovation of the house, from the ocean blue of Ewa's bathroom to the redone family room to the inviting deck invoking memories of summer barbecues and parties galore. The evening was a time for all of us to bond together, especially with our new faculty - Elena, Natalie, Neil, and Keith. It would be remiss of me not to mention Alan, Roz's genial husband, who seemed to fit right in and was very much a part of all the merriment and jollity.

After an evening spent with my wonderful hosts and friends, the husband and kid came to pick me up at 12.40,well past the "witching hour." The night was redolent of the Christmas gaiety and spirit as I sat back and reflected on all the cherished moments we'd just had. I drifted off into a deep slumber at 1.30 A.M. and slept like a baby for eight hours straight. No telltale headaches, no hangover this time, but just a warm, happy feeling and the afterglow of an enchanted evening, tequila shooters and more!!!

God's in His Heaven and all's right with the world...that's how I feel right now! Merry Christmas to you and yours, my friends!

2 comments:

  1. Olivia,
    Thank you very much for such a wonderful account of our first gathering. I was very honoured to host the party and I truly enjoyed each and everyone’s company. It made me happy to see you all relaxed, engaged in laughter and having a good time. I surely hope that we will continue this kind of encounters as they truly bring the people together and allow us to share such a wonderful time. So let's wait for the summer to come so we can enjoy the deck and barbeque season! In the meantime - all the best to you and your families - enjoy this season of joy and happiness. Merry Christmas!!!See you all in January :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia,

    Thank you for your account of the wonderful evening. As usual, I immensely enjoyed reading it, and had the pleasure of reliving the joy and merriment, the crazy relaxing atmosphere.
    I had some lecturing from my son of course on drinking, coming home late, etc. , but I did not take it close to my heart: I felt just too happy and relaxed and completely ignored it.

    Merry Christmas to you all!

    Gayane

    ReplyDelete