Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring Break 2011

On a lighter note than my earlier posts, this is a personal account of what has been panning out at home in the past few weeks and recent days. The kid and I are having our Spring Break this week, and our original plans of that pending trip to Vegas never materialized for very many reasons. With all the death, destruction, recovery, and nuclear crisis going on across the Pacific, Vegas had receded farther back in our minds. We decided as a family that a vacation in Sin City would be the most frivolous thing to do at this time, and that we should contribute our two pennies' worth to the current relief efforts being undertaken by the rest of the world. So here we are, back at square one, and as can be rightly guessed, the husband has gone to being his usual workaholic self, and the 15-year-old is lost in his books, that is, whenever he is not raiding the pantry or the refrigerator!


The benefits of my 'staycation' have been many, the foremost of them being my being able to sleep in each morning. Sleep ...ahhh, the word is music indeed to my ears! We're talking about a harried working woman who wakes up in the unearthly hours of the morning each day and rushes around like a motor-driven automaton, with not a moment of rest during the day, until her head hits the pillow at night. If you get the general drift of things, you can sense how sleep-deprived I am, so no wonder then that sleep is a luxury to me! Lazing and lounging have been the order of the day this week, and I'm beginning to like it, A LOT!!! Catching up on my reading has been the second best thing, since I have absolutely lost interest in watching movies, desi or otherwise. Give me a book any day, and mine will be the happiest soul on the planet!


The kid had initially told me he wanted to do his own thing, and that he didn't want to be 'nagged' in any way, which actually suited me fine. Well, his resolve didn't last more than a day, and it's he who's nagging me now (and I mean that in a very positive way!), with his endless questions about everything in life. Last night, we had a particularly enlightening discussion about faith, God, the efficacy of prayer, good karma, positive thinking, etc., etc. "Mom, can you feed me, please?" was another surprising request from my teenager, and I was thrilled to feed him the dosai (rice and lentil crepe), as we chatted about his babyhood and days in California - a rare moment of special mother - son bonding!


As for my personal goals of eating healthy, exercising, and losing weight, everything has gone right on track, and I'm immensely pleased with myself, needless to say! This break has mostly been my ME TIME, and I'm eternally grateful for all of life's blessings, great and small. The fact that I have a job in uncertain economic times, and one that keeps me busy at that, and the opportunity to relax and unwind now and bond with my son, have not been lost on me at all. That Vegas trip may not have worked out, but as my mother often reminded me, here I am, counting my blessings, day in and day out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment