Friday, July 1, 2011

Canada Day 2011

It's been almost 8 years since I landed in Canada with my family, and regrets there have been none! Fourteen years ago, when I left India for California, had anyone told me that I would eventually become a Canadian citizen and hold a Canadian passport, I would've laughed at them as being ridiculous and dismissed the whole thing as being far-fetched and preposterous. Back then, Canada was nowhere on my horizon, but strange how life takes you on an incredible journey! From smalltown Madurai to San Jose in Silicon Valley to Vancouver in beautiful British Columbia has been one hell of a ride, I must acknowledge. Life has never been without its inherent struggles, but as I went along with the natural course of events, Providence guided me along and eventually landed me in the safe haven that is Canada.

Today marks my eighth Canada Day, and I celebrate life here with gratitude for all the blessings that this wonderful land has to offer. With acculturation and social inclusion has come a feeling of peace and contentment, and when I look back, I realize this was where I was meant to be. When I became a Canadian citizen, I was invited to give a speech on behalf of all the new citizens that day ( to about a hundred or so people from all over the world), an honor I will always cherish for the rest of my life. In my speech, I touched upon my immigrant experiences and held myself as an example of how to work towards comfortable settlement in our adopted land, and I felt truly elated when many people, including the chief guest, came afterwards to congratulate me on my speech. Life has been good so far, and I find added fulfillment each day, teaching new immigrants to Canada and helping them in their settlement process here.

Though I love India, the country of my birth, as well, it has become clearer to me that I will never be going back to live there again. Apart from making trips to visit extended family and friends, and to take a look at property that I still own there, there's nothing else going for me in India right now. While I feel a pang about it as always, the reality is that Canada is my home now and for the foreseeable future. The choice has been made and I embrace it wholeheartedly with sheer pleasure and gratefulness. Happy Birthday, Canada, and wish you many more glorious ones to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment