Monday, September 5, 2011

Hospitals - An Anathema

As a little girl, I always said I wanted to be a doctor when I grew up. I always thought that doctors were mini gods, with life-sustaining power in their hands. They could bring about miracles in the lives of patients who needed them the most, just to be able to breathe and live normal lives. Little did I know then that the coward that I was, the sight of blood would make me panic, or the soft-hearted sympathizer that I was, the suffering and pain of my fellow human beings would make me cry. Eventually, I ended up on a different career path, one that I absolutely enjoyed and reveled in, and I foolishly thought that I would have nothing to do with hospitals for the rest of my life, considering that I was healthy then ( or so I thought), but boy, was I wrong!

To put it plainly, hospitals are an anathema to me. I find them highly depressing and unnerving, but as fate would have it, I am the one who has had to go there repeatedly for various reasons. I have this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach each time I wait to see the doctor, and on every occasion I get off lightly with a not-so-alarming verdict or test results, I count my blessings and rush out hurriedly with a sigh of relief, determined never to set foot on the premises again. That's only until the next visit, and so the never-ending cycle goes on! I agree that hospitals are a place of hope and optimism and courage for the sick and the dying, but still they're not on my list of favorite places, so to speak. I detest them thoroughly and keep wishing that I could enjoy perpetual good health so as not to venture into those dismal corridors ever again.

Call it karma or whatever, my only child is now determined to become a doctor. I thought he might change his mind as he grew up, as his mother did, but till date that hasn't happened. He seems to show no inclination towards my career path or his Dad's. Far from it, the subjects he enjoys the most are Science and Math, and at times I feel a pang that he doesn't appreciate literature as much as I do. There's still plenty of time left for him to make a decision, and as a parent, and as a well-meaning, supportive one at that, I'll be happy whatever he chooses to do in life. His Dad and I have given him all the opportunities and support he needs to get there, and we'll be there for him, no matter what. I'd be certainly proud of him when he becomes a doctor, but I'll stay outside the hospital, thank you very much!

2 comments:

  1. i am definite that once your dear son becomes a doctor you will start loving hospitals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ...Thanks, Sheela! That needs to be seen and tested, I suppose! :)

    ReplyDelete