Friday, February 19, 2010

Sick, Down and Under!

For only the second time in my entire employment history, I've taken a Sick Day today. Whether that's something commendable or stupid is worthy of yet another blog post. I can't exactly say what's wrong, but it's just that this past week I've been feeling down in the dumps, generally nauseous and experiencing a chill in the pit of my stomach on and off. Yesterday was particularly worse, when as an instructor, I had to put on a normal, everyday face in front of my class on the outside, while on the inside I was a mess, stifling the urge to run to the bathroom and throw up, and just longing to lie down and drift into blissful oblivion. Not a very good feeling, I must acknowledge, in a rather understated way! My friend Gayane suggested that I should probably take it easy and rest at home for a day (we have a field trip together coming on Monday, so she needs me in good health by then!), so here I am, blogging from my bed in the morning!

I was SO looking forward to visiting the Olympic venues with my men yesterday, but everything had to be postponed for later till I felt better. I had to content myself with catching up with all the Olympic highlights on television, drifting in and out of an awkward doze all the while. I consider myself a generally healthy person, so this feeling of being unwell really sucks! The kid threw in his two cents' worth telling me the feeling would pass if I just ignored it: "Ma, you're nauseous because you THINK you're nauseous. Just stop thinking about it and you'll feel fine." Yeah, right! I don't think I'm a hypochondriac who's imagining it all ...maybe I did catch a bug or something, for that matter!

So for now, am lolling around in bed, just taking it easy and resting. My plan is to continue reading Henry James' "Washington Square" and drift off into sleep like an old, ailing woman. Maybe this enforced rest might do me some good and help me recover quick enough to venture out and take in the sights and sounds of the streets in downtown Vancouver, and be a part of all that Olympic fever doing the rounds. I'll take the Olympic fever any day rather than this flu bug I seem to have caught! Happy resting for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment