Saturday, February 11, 2012

On The Path To Fitness

The path to fitness has always been a rocky one for a fickle-minded individual like yours truly. Well-meaning friends keep telling me that it is 80% of what one eats, and 20% of working out that keeps a person physically fit. Good to know that, but quite difficult to put into practice most of the time, I have to confess! And so it happened that my fitness went on a downward spiral due to lack of will power and sheer laziness. Unmindful of the havoc I was wreaking on my body, I let the foodie in me take control, indulging in all those delectable foods that are divine on the tongue but hell on the waistline. And when the foodie wasn't in play, the lazy slob took over, justifying unashamedly about using the treadmill as a clothes-horse. All this until the day I ended up at the doctor's office with an inexplicable shoulder injury!

Well, needless to say, the doctor's words brought on an epiphany of sorts - I had to get my act together in terms of food and exercise, and rehabilitate my shoulder, or else risk the chance of being stuck with a frozen shoulder for the rest of my life. The men at home had an agenda of their own as well, weight loss for the kid, and working out to keep that blood sugar under control for the husband, and now that we were on the road to redemption, all we had to do was to look for a trainer to sustain our interest and prevent us from backtracking into our sinful ways. Consequently, the treadmill has returned to its purpose of why it was invented in the first place, the refrigerator has more of healthy foods in it, and in general, it has been a radical change in lifestyle for the three of us.

It's been a glorious two plus months now, and we haven't looked back at all. I have regained a great deal of movement in my shoulders, can run up the stairs without huffing and puffing, can feel the various muscles in my body, and best of all, am just 4 pounds shy of the weight I used to be 15 years ago, as was stated on my first California Driver's Licence! YAAAYYY!!! We certainly are on the path to fitness, and have no plans of abandoning it anytime now or in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment