Sunday, September 6, 2009

My Summer Staycation!

For the first time in 6 years, ever since I moved from California to Vancouver, I've had a 3-week summer break! Yaaayy!!! All these past summers I was busy teaching full time, so this year's break was a welcome change. Unfortunately for me, the husband was working (as he always does year round!), so it was impossible for us to travel anywhere outside of Vancouver. However, I must admit, the staycation at home, broken by the odd one-day trips to sundry places, was such a wonderful experience and kind of grew upon me!

How on earth could staying at home be enjoyable, one might ask. Well, for starters, I had the luxury of sleeping in every single day. For those of you who wake up to the sound of an alarm in the unearthly hours of the morning (if you could call 5.30 AM that), you will have a perfect understanding of what I mean. Though I usually don't drink coffee on weekdays (because I'm too busy rushing to get ready for work and so don't have the time), during this break I actually savored the coffee my husband made for me every morning. Typically, lazing, lounging, or lolling on the couch became the order of the day! This was my downtime, so there wasn't any particular order to the day...sounds like heaven, doesn't it?!?

Another good thing (or bad thing, according to some!) about my staycation was that I had the time to start this blog, just so I could have a platform for all my random thoughts. I'd always wanted to give vent to those creative urges, but simply hadn't had the time to do so until now. Well, better late than never! What the kid liked about my being home was that I was able to rustle up all this good food after thorough Internet searches, and also, was able to sit with him and watch all his favorite movies and TV shows. However, I must also say he detested my nagging him about getting ready for school: "Dinesh, you haven't touched your saxophone in two months. Take it out of the box and clean it, for heaven's sake!" or "Why is your room such a holy mess? Don't you have to get things organized before school starts?" At times like these, I bet he wished his Mom would just get lost and give him some peace and quiet around the house!

As they say, all good things have to come to an end, and so it is with my staycation. Tomorrow is Labor Day, the last day of my summer break that I oh so thoroughly enjoyed! Come Tuesday, the 8th of September, it's back again to the grind! It's going to take me a couple of days to get back into the groove, but I'll be really happy to see all my students and reconnect with them in class. Secretly though, I'll be looking forward to my Christmas break and all the magic of the season it brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment