Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Spring Break To Remember!

Had a fantastic Spring Break 2010, one I'll remember for years to come! Nothing mind-blowing or spectacular, but a welcome break from my daily routine, 11 sweet days of unadulterated bliss! The husband and I lead very busy, mechanical lives, day in and day out. That's life for you in North America, with no time to stop and stare or take in the simple joys of life. The weekdays are tightly packed and humdrum, while the weekends are devoted to the inevitable chores around the house - dusting, vacuuming, mopping, doing the laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc., etc. - and before you know it, the weekend is over and another crazed week looms large ahead. This year my break was special because my sister-in-law Anu (who's visiting her daughter in Ohio) came to Vancouver, and the husband, kid, and I got to do the whole tourist thing with her.
Anu at Butchart Gardens

I turned the house upside down for Anu's visit, cleaning every nook and corner and crevice and cranny, only to be made fun of by my 14-year old. "Why are you cleaning the back of the cupboard doors with anti-bacterial wipes, Mom? D'you think Athai's (Aunty's) going to check behind the doors and give you an 'A' for cleanliness?," he went on with his ribbing, but I plodded on, giving the house a makeover because that's exactly when the house gets one, when visitors come a-knocking! I was sooo looking forward to Anu's visit because she's more of a friend to me than a sister-in-law, and we have a sort of great history together (which I can't say of anyone else from the husband's side of the family!), so I was determined to be extremely hospitable to her and make her stay as pleasant as possible for her! If I felt that way, you can imagine how the husband must've felt about his beloved sister's visit! An itinerary of places to visit was made, the freezer and fridge were over-stocked with her favorite items, the menu was decided ... all for just 9 days of her stay in Vancouver. The kid was quick to comment: "One would think Barack Obama was spending the Spring Break with us!" Not that he doesn't love his Anu Athai, but he just loves to pull his parents' legs and mock them from time to time! :)
The husband and I outside the solarium at Butchart
Anu dwarfed by the Inukshuk in Whistler

For me, it was a delight revisiting familiar places all over again for Anu's benefit - the ferry ride to Victoria, the extended walk in the drizzle around Butchart Gardens, the leisurely stroll around the streets of downtown Victoria, the mindless shopping spree at the Seattle Premium Outlets, the sights from the Space Needle and in Pike Place in Seattle, the feel of the driving wet snow against our faces in Whistler, the heart-stopping gondola ride from the summit of Whistler to Blackcomb Mountains, taking her around Vancouver's famous landmarks such as Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Science World, and so on, window-shopping at Metrotown, visiting the Olympic Oval in Richmond, strolling along the Quayside in New Westminster along the Fraser River, taking the Seabus across the Bay and looking for photo ops in Lonsdale Quay - the list goes on and on. Throw in our eating at our favorite restaurants, cooking for Anu at home in between our sightseeing jaunts, and of course our non-stop chattering and giggling like school girls - the entire Spring Break was a sensory delight, I must say!

Brother and sister on the Capilano Suspension Bridge
The happy but tired trio after an endless walk in the Sunken Gardens
Braving the cold on Whistler Mountain

It was with sadness that we put Anu back on her plane to Ohio. I was spoiled rotten by the husband during Spring Break, courtesy of his sister, and now it's back to the grind again. Like a willful child, I keep wondering why life can't be an endless vacation?!? My heart yearns for me to take off into the parts unknown, take each day as it comes, and live life to the fullest. Wishful thinking on my part, but I can at least hold on to the memories of my Spring Break 2010 with Anu for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment